Just hanging around

Just hanging around

Monday, February 28, 2011

Today is February 28, 2011, where has the month gone. I hear news from the other canadians that are currently depolyed in Sudan, that some have already moved on to better or should I say more responsible positions. I know you are all saying "come on Jimmy pick up the pace, due Calgary proud" and I will, it's nice to sit back and see whos who in the zoo. I have to remember that this is a marathon not a sprint, although......our team site leader is checking out on the 15th of March, so his job is comming up for competition, we'll see.  The tempature today is a cool 37.1, I was told that February is the hot month, can you imagine that February.......the hot month.........I'm used to the wonderful late winter snow storms, and the lovely spring snow storms, and the grand July hail storms, you get my drift.  Life here in the southern sector of Sudan is good, the Sudanese people are the most resiliant people I have ever seen. They have live the better part of their lives enduring the dark days of civil war, working 12 hour days, walking 10 to 20 km to fetch water, living 6-8 people in a toukel (mud hut) but yet when I drive by they always have time to wave, and the kids always have a smiles on their faces. I have travelled to all the corners of this team sites area of operation.  Our main task is to co locate with the south sudanese police, to help them understand the concepts of human rights, detention,gender crime, community policing etc etc. I feel for them, I see what I have in Calgary, and what they have to work with. Some of the officers come to work in sandles because they have no boots, no handcuffs, no notebooks, no vehicles, and some of the police posts are quite simply a wooden shack, but they have the will, despite all that is against them, they want to do the job, and I respect that, so I will do what I can, I will pass on my experiences, both good and bad to them, to help them become better police officers, and me a better person. The picture above was taken at the OTOGO police post, 2 people to my right is my partner Resty from the Phillipines, this is where I saw that monster spider.

2 comments:

  1. Well written Jim. I can almost taste the grit of sand in my mouth, and feel the blaring sun in my eyes, as they take in the vast beauty of this fascinating country. Even more amazing to share, the sense of awe you have acquired for the raw spirit, and simple joy ,in these fascinating people.
    What an amazing gift. Thank you.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most certainly agree! It is easy for us to sit back here in Canada, and hear what is going on over there, but it does not really register... your words bring more than just a face to the people of Sudan, they capture a piece of the essence of who they are, and frankly makes me want to learn more of this country and not take for granted all that we have here.

    ReplyDelete