Just hanging around

Just hanging around

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Uncertain Times

Well here I am sitting in my office, the first day summer, well maybe in Canada, but here in South Sudan, there are 2 seasons, dry and wet.
 It is an anxious time right now, July 9 will be Independence day for the South. The UN in New York had deemed this to be the end of mission for UNMIS. What does this mean to me, and the other 10 Canadians that are currently serving in UNMIS.  Well on July 10, will be the start of a new mission UNMISS United Nations Mission in Southern Sudan, all I know for sure, there are rumours that suggest that the police strength will be cut in half, as well it is unknown if any of the Canadians will be invited to participate in the new mission.
What I do know is that all of our CTO (time off) that was scheduled past July 9, has been cancelled, and any accumulated CTO cannot be transferred to the new mission.
We were told that all of the police contributing countries had a very important meeting in New York Yesterday to discuss the new mission, so we'll wait and see.
All this information and rumours have added to the challenges that I face as the team site leader, I find myself putting out fires, and calming the troops, who put too much truth to the rumours. I find myself saying "it is what it is" lets stay focused, lets support each other, and when I hear something that is factual, I will let you know.
I think this is exciting, from what I have heard about the new mission, its going to be leaner and meaner, focusing on training, pushing the SSPS to new levels of operational and adminastrative abilities.
So we wait, all of us, for the impending decisions from New York, that will leave some folks realing with relief, while other with dismay.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but think you should all be very proud... you are all a vital part of the birth of a nation... uncertain times indeed, however progress generally tends to be unpredictable, at the end of it all... it is still progress.
    Kudos to you and your team!

    ReplyDelete